Hello again everyone,
Assignment 1 is due in a few days and Piazza has been overflowing with questions! I had originally intended to keep up with all the activity on Piazza from the start of the course, but seeing as there are 165 posts for A1, I don't think I'll be able to anymore.
This week in class was a mash-up of Python namespaces and tips for A1. The Python namespace stuff was interesting: it seemed very confusing at first but once I understood it, I realized it was easy to follow if you trace the code carefully. One thing I find interesting about this and other topics in 148 is how much there is to know about Python that we didn't learn in 108. It seems like every week, there is some new topic of which I wasn't even aware based on what I learned in 108, and it is amazing to see how much I overlooked last semester.
I finally started Assignment 1 last week, and was excited to get started because I was really eager to solve the game. I've always liked math puzzles and this one was definitely a tough one. There were two parts to this assignment: 1) writing the code, and 2) solving the problem. Each one presented its own difficulty: it took me a while to really understand the given code enough to know exactly how to implement the methods. Once I started though and realized I was going to use a dictionary for the TOAHModel, everything pretty much fell into place. The second part took me longer: I spent a long time trying to find a pattern or a formula for the "i" value that would give the least number of moves, until eventually I realized you could just obtain it with the code. I think the most important thing that I learned was not to divide this assignment into Computer Science and Math, but to use them hand in hand. To complete this assignment, I'm going to try putting that into practice.
Good luck with Assignment 1 everyone!

No comments:
Post a Comment